About Unit 261
The Army, Navy and Air Force Veteran’s Assoc. was formed in Stratford on the 26th of May 1937 with 25 members who had served in the Great War 1914 – 1918. Meetings at that time were held in the Board Room at City Hall until a decision was made to purchase a permanent Club Room. Money was raised and a home was purchased on the corner of St. Andrews Street. Unfortunately, it was destroyed by fire on the 13th of March, 1948. Temporary quarters were obtained from the Optimists’ Club on Water Street and again a committee was formed to raise money and find permanent quarters for the Unit.